Designers like Badgley Mischka, Betsey Johnson, Mui Mui and Jeffery Campbell have all gone glam with glitter on their shoes this year. Of course, you can find knock offs in stores everywhere, but if you’re like me I’m sure you have that old pair of heels laying around that have truly seen their better days. Take those old heels and about $10 worth of supplies and make your very own glitter heels in whatever color you please.
- Heels or any shoe you want to glitter
- Mod Podge (I used Gloss Lustre) (MP)
- Foam brush
- Glitter in the color of your choosing
- Mixing container
- Paper or something to cover the work surface
1. I didn’t put this in the materials, but make sure your shoes are good and clean. It probably wouldn’t hurt to wipe over them with some rubbing alcohol to make sure there are no oils or anything to keep the MP from adhering.
2. Put some MP in your mixing container, and the add some glitter. I eyeballed this, but probably about a 1:1 ratio. You don’t want the mixture too thick and goopy, but you also don’t want it too thin or you’ll have to paint a bazillion layers. (For the glitter I used fine glitter, but I have seen them done combining the coarse and fine glitter and it looked cool)\
3. Start paint the MP glitter mixture on with your foam brush. Once you have painted all of both shoes, let them dry completely and then paint 1-2 more coats, or enough coats to cover the shoes to your satisfaction.
4. Let them dry according to the MP directions before wearing…then enjoy!
Tip: Once they dried after 2 coats I realized that the black wasn’t very sparkly, so I added a little gold and silver into the mixture for my final coat to give it some pizzazz. I think an iridescent black glitter would be phenomenal, but they were out when I bought the supplies for this.